Laura Lulu's Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Jun 11, 13

liked it
bookshelves: chubby-chunkster, urban-fantasy, young-adult, shifters, audiobook
Read from January 19 to 27, 2011

My status updates aside, this was a pretty good book. A nice breath of fresh air in the over-saturated world of paranormal YA rubbish.

A wonderfully different take on werewolves, and a really nice, fast paced story/mystery. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next.

If you did read my status updates, the author does need a bit of help in understanding the economy of words. A few examples:

"Her mug clattered into the stainless steel basin."

"Her mug clattered into the sink." works just fine--gets the image across perfectly & succinctly. Economy of words is a great premise.

"He poured tall, dark liquid from the thermos." Was the coffee also handsome? "Tall, dark liquid"??? So silly. We don't need flowing prose about coffee.

And my favorite:
"Unwelcome searing liquid pooled in my eyes." Did I mention the concept of "economy of words"? The word "tears" would have worked just fine here--actually, it would have been better. I listened to this book on audio, and when I first heard "Unwelcome searing liquid..." I thought someone threw something caustic at her.

Any thoughts I have on the love triangle would be spoilers, so here we go...(view spoiler)

Oh, and one last thing. The author should have written in a few cold showers for Calla. This girl was a comical sensory trip. This boy makes her shiver, that boy makes her shake. This boy makes her breath stop, that boy makes her limbs go numb. It was over the top. When I start laughing when I read the next physical description of Calla's 0-60 desire, that means you've gone a bit too far. ;)
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

01/20/2011
10.0% "What is it with YA books that everyone have to have a name weirder than the next kid? So far in this book, we have (bare with my spelling, I'm listening to the audio)--Calla, Ansel, Renier, Seamus/Shay, Bryn, Cosette. The 2 most normal names so far have been Mason & Fay." 10 comments
01/25/2011
30.0% ""Her mug clattered into the stainless steel basin." "He poured tall, dark liquid from the thermos." I'm all for descriptive prose, but not just for the sake of sounding stupid. "Sink" and "coffee" work just as well, and don't make me stop and go "Stainless steel basin???""
01/25/2011
35.0% ""Unwelcome searing liquid pooled in my eyes." This is a really great story, but is slowly being decimated by poetic vomit. Just use the word TEARS, dammit. " 8 comments

message 1: by AH (new) - added it

AH Loved your updates. I agree with you on the economy of words. Waxing poetic about coffee doesn't make sense unless you own Starbucks.

Laura Lulu Exactly. You need a little poetry to charge $5 for a cup of coffee.

message 3: by The Flooze (last edited Jan 29, 2011 02:16PM) (new)

The Flooze "Was the coffee also handsome?"

Hahahahha!!

This is why I love thee.

Laura Lulu Just this? There's no counting of the ways?

message 5: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze Don't push yer luck. I have plenty of reasons to tar and feather you, too. PINK feathers.

Laura Lulu With sparkles? Yay!

message 7: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze Hahaha! Ohhh, YOU!

Maybe I'll just nail polish and feather you instead?

message 8: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze Oh oh! Or RHINESTONES! Where's that bedazzler...

Laura Lulu Ooh, you got me there. I have to draw the line at the bedazzler. Although, it would be pretty hard to bedazzle feathers...

message 10: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze Never doubt my ingenuity.

Carolyne Agree with the word economy. There comes a time when an author needs to stop beating around the bush and not waste whole sentences when three or four words would have worked just as nicely.

Shay bothered me as well and I found myself leaning towards Calla/Ren despite Andrea Cremer trying to write Ren as the worst choice for Calla. I think his character shone through particularly towards the end when he actually lets Calla leave with Shay. I think that was the moment I realized I preferred his character to Shay's.

Laura Lulu That was exactly how I felt, Carolyne. You're doing something wrong if more people like the guy you keep trying to make us not like. ;)

Camila Your review says it all, I completely agree with you!

message 14: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em Coffee: Tall, dark, and handsome LOL. I also hated how many times Calla bailed on Ren for Shay.. I understand maybe he was appealing to her because he was forbidden, but he did annoy me a lot because he was so naive. I had problems with Ren by the end of the book, too, though. Calla needed to get laid, too. Her hormones going crazy must be a result of practically being locked in a chastity belt.