Kelly's Reviews > Dracula's Guest and Other Victorian Vampire Stories

Dracula's Guest and Other Victorian Vampire Stories by Michael Sims

Jul 26, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, vampires
Read from June 27 to July 26, 2010

I received a copy of Dracula's Guest through Goodreads' First Reads. Dracula's Guest is a wonderful anthology that I am more than happy to add to my vampire book collection. The short stories that he has compiled show the varied history of writing focused on the vampire. The stories vary from "true" depictions of vampire encounters to the melodramatic Victorian romance. Many of the authors I was familiar with, but there were many that were new to me as well.

"The End of My Journey" by George Gordon, Lord Byron was probably my favorite of the anthology. It is a very short story, but the plot line is interesting. It would have been interesting to see where Byron would have taken the story had he expanded it.

"Wake Not the Dead" was another marvelous story that serves as a reminder that we may not always want what we wish for. "The Family of the Vourdak" is what I think of for old school vampire horror stories.

I would recommend this anthology to anyone who is interested in the vapire. The anthology brings back the dark nature of the vampire, so much missing from the current vampire pop-culture craze/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula's Guest and Other Victorian Vampire Stories.