Johnathan Dove's Reviews > Heroes: Volume One

Jun 04, 10

Recommended to Johnathan by: merlin
Recommended for: yess
Read in May, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I would like to base my main idea on difference and discrimination. When you think of discrimination, I bet color or race, is the first thing that comes to mind, but that's not even half of it. Discrimination can pertain to sex, color, normality, race, and many more. However, reading Heroes was an eye opener to many new related topics.
Heroes was a graphic novel about "special people" with special powers who were be taken advantage by this untraceable source. The book told the story about many different "heroes" learning that they have powers and trying to cope with them. But, This untraceable source was using these Heroes for their powers without them even knowing it.This connects to many cases in the world where people took advantage of others because of their difference or race or whatever. One big connection is to the holocaust. We all now what that was about, and because a certain people followed a religion, they were taken advantage of by other, even killed.
This is actually one of my favorite graphic novels. Even though it was hard to follow at times "heroes" was very action pact because you were following the stories of different people with different powers trying to control themselves and seem less different from everyone else also because they were discriminated. On page 162, a guy named Austin who had the power of healing others was in the Vietnam war and when his partner San Antonio was shot, Austin used his power to heal him. Even though Austin was saved, he still said "what did you do to me?", "tell me what you did" with the expression that he was looking at a FREAK. Going back to taking advantage, right after, San Antonio was using Austin's powers to abuse someone.
So right there, that proves my idea of what this book was trying to explain with discrimination between different types of people. I thought the other did a great job with taking such a big idea and putting it into a graphic novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroes.