Vicki's Reviews > Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1

Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1 by Hisae Iwaoka

Jun 06, 10

bookshelves: comics-and-manga, sci-fi, own
Read in June, 2010

This comic is about window cleaners. Window cleaners who clean the windows on the outside of a giant ring-shaped space station that is orbiting the Earth.

In the future, the entirety of Earth is declared a nature preservation zone, and all humans move out into space. Only a little way into space tho: looking down from the ring, the planet Earth fills every bit of their view.

The presentation of this book is just gorgeous - print quality and cover art are beautiful. The art within the book does a good job of portraying the space station and the dangerous work of cleaning windows in a vacuum whilst wearing a space suit. However all of the characters are drawn very squat and with quite large round heads and tiny eyes, which makes them look a little like a race of some kind of gnomes.

The story is a little meandering and slice-of-life. We catch glimpses of the main characters' pasts, but also sometimes look into the lives of others living aboard the station. I did enjoy the stories and usually really like slice-of-life manga, but there isn't quite enough resolution or meaning to them in this one to be 100% gripping.

All-in-all I think if you like sci-fi manga with beautiful and different settings, then you should definitely try this one out simply for that. Personally I'm still on the fence about whether I want to collect the series - this one might be a slow burn you come back to a few weeks later and fall head-over-heels in love with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1.