Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > The Clouds Beneath the Sun

Jun 15, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction, 2010-release, arc, librarything
Read from June 12 to 15, 2010

I had to skim to make it thru this. It had a decent start, introducing us to Natalie, a young woman beginning in the archeology world, suffering a broken heart (of which we heard WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT) and dealing with grief over her recently deceased mother. She goes to join a dig in Africa and we meet some not all that likeable characters. Russel, a Californian Aussie that immediately falls in love with Natalie. Eleanor, an incredibly bossy, prying, controlling know it all. Christopher, the know it all's son who also falls in love with Natalie. Richard who barely resides long enough for me to mention him. And later, Jack, another son of know it all who naturally, falls in love with Natalie.

Despite the constant mentioning of her former lover, Dominic, I enjoyed the dig finds, the murder itself and the antics leading up to it, and most of all, I enjoyed the tidbits about the African flora, fawna, and animals. But soon, the story began to go like this: Natalie receives a letter from Russell (who is no longer on the team but after having had a few whiskeys with Natalie, thinks they have something special), Eleanor attempts to talk Natalie out of testifying against the murderer, they find something in the dig, Natalie and Jack have a deep conversation, somebody tries to talk Natalie into testifying, Eleanor once again encourages Natalie NOT to testify, Natalie receives a letter from Russell, Natalie and Jack have a deep and completely irrelevant to the story discussion... and so on.

When that bloody Dominic was mentioned for the zillionth time on page 248, I began to skim. I had had enough.

The ending.. I am not one of those readers that has to have a happy ending everytime, but this one stinks.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clouds Beneath the Sun.

06/12/2010 page 1
0.0% "Got this on LibraryThing. I didn't care for the author's previous work, but this is about a woman in 1960s Africa. I'm interested."
06/13/2010 page 85
18.0% "A murder on an architect dig.. An angry African tribe.. cool! But I wish the heroien would get over her Dominic and parent issues. What relevance does it have on the real story?"

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-16 of 16) </span> <span class="smallText">(16 new)</span>

message 1: by Irene (new) - added it

Irene I hope it is as good as it sounds!

Tara Chevrestt I'll trade it for Sumner Island if you want. BUT you have to wait a while. LOL I have to receive it and read it first. LOL

message 3: by Irene (new) - added it

Irene Sounds like a plan, but I will owe you two books.

Tara Chevrestt You owe me a book? I don't think so. I don't remember. It not tit for tat, Irene. Don't worry about it.

message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Tara, you are brave! You gave this author's Gifts of War 1 star!

Tara Chevrestt I know. I thought the main character was a stalker.. I didnt like him at all. This one is about a woman tho.

message 7: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I rarely read two books by the sameauthor. Only if I REALLY like the writing will I do that! And then most often I am disappointed...... Few authors can write lots of excellent books.

Tara Chevrestt I'll have to diagree with you on that. If I read one book by an author and love it, I will read their others if it interests me. I have found numerous authors that have written more than one that I have enjoyed. Victoria Hislop, Phillipa Gregory, Jane Candia Coleman.. I have been disappointed a few times, but not that much. Haley Elizabeth Garwood has wrote 4. I love all but one.

message 9: by Irene (new) - added it

Irene I have favorite authors too. And I keep close watch for upcoming books by them.

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret I have favorite authors, but I have to agree with Chrissie. Authors don't write lots of excellent books. They may write two of them, but they will usually be widely separated. In between there may be good reads that I'd rate four stars. I'll want to read those too. So I also agree with those of you who read more than one book by an author. I don't need for every book to be an absolutely brilliant masterpiece. Sometimes I just want a good story.

message 11: by Irene (new) - added it

Irene P.D. James failed me but once: The Children of Men. Too dystopian for my taste.

message 12: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 06, 2010 12:59PM) (new)

Chrissie What pulls me to not overdo one author is that I might be missing a good author I have never read before...... I simply don't have the time to read everything. That I might be missing a really good author compells me to try new ones! I love Allende's earlier books. I think Amitav Ghosh is excellent, and I have to try another by Denise Giardina. After readinSaints and Villains: Library Edition and absolutely loving it, I must soon read Storming Heaven. However generally, new authors pull me more!

message 13: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret Yes, I want to try new authors too, Chrissie. But I know I will miss some. There's just too much out there. The best I can do is to pursue the books that I find that interest me. Some will be authors that I read before and some will be new. I'm OK with that.

message 14: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Before GR my problem was finding good books. Now the opposite is true. How do I choose which one of the many I must read to open next! Isn't GR lovely!!!! And being able to talk with others about these great books. It is nice talking with all of you - Tara, Irene and Shomeret!

message 15: by Irene (new) - added it

Irene You, too, Chrissie!

message 16: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss Wow, you must read fast!