Stephanie's Reviews > The Map That Changed the World

The Map That Changed the World by Simon Winchester

571912
Mar 07, 12

Read in April, 2008

Excellent as Winchester always is. A bit more challenging reading for me than Professor and the Madman or the Meaning of Everything because it's more "sciencey." Very interesting and I'm learning a ton -- but I have to keep referring to a map of England and looking up geology terms. That said, it's good, entertaining reading.

Update 2/13:

A bit tough going because I know so little about geology. A bit dry in places, too -- though I hate to admit it because I like Winchester as a writer. And, I want to read it because I'm interested in the map itself. But some of the techniques that I loved in The Meaning of Everything and Professor and the Madman just don't seem to work as well here. Digressions into the personal lives of minor characters, listing types of rocks or dirt (!) and minute detail about geology and petty disagreements just isn't as appealing to me here. I just happen to be reading three books that I don't really love (or in some cases even like) right now... that's rough because there's no book to entice you or to give you a break from the harder reading. I always feel like I should finish a book before moving onto another one but is that really a good use of time? Woe is me. Maybe I'll knit for a while instead.

Final update. Became too much of a challenge -- and maybe because of my poor knowledge of geology. Had to look up terminology (And re- look it up) constantly. It broke the flow of the narrative for me. Sadly, I gave up. Book has gone to Goodwill.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map That Changed the World.