Willie Butts's Reviews > Where the Wild Things Are

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

M_50x66
Jun 03, 10

Read in June, 2010

After reading this book I had to take another look at the title, the author did a great job describing the inner nature of the boy by using this title. Every creature in the text represents an attribute of the boy, even the words that he uses with his mother were used by the creatures; for instance, when he told his mother that he was going to eat her up, these are the exact words the creatures use as he departs the island. I also like the way the author gave the creatures human attributes, the hair and clothing causes the reader to focus on the odd looking creatures even more wondering why they have hair like people or modern clothing. It was intentional the author wants to show us what the inner person could look like. I like the emphasis placed on the size of the creatures. They are much large than the boy, yet he has all of the power. I believe that this represents choices we make. The situation can be much large than we are, but we have the power to overcome or defeat the situation if we choose. The colors that are used are natural earth tone colors that make the reader feel as if he/she is right there taking part in the adventure. This is a great story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Wild Things Are.