Lani's Reviews > The Pursuit of Happyness

The Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner

Dec 31, 08

bookshelves: biography, non-fiction
Read in December, 2008

I've been meaning to see this movie, but I wanted to read the book first. I saw bits and pieces of the movie at work the other day, and people were just gushing about how great it was. I figured I should probably read the book before I end up seeing the movie on accident.

It's definitely more feel-goody than my usual tastes, but it has just been so talked about, that I'm glad I at least tried it. Certainly a very inspiring story about a man with a lot of motivation and will-power. I think this is probably particularly striking to people living in communities with a real lack of fathers. I work at an urban Best Buy, most of the staff coming from not the best neighborhoods, and they were all much more moved by this than I was. I was raised by a single dad (certainly in better circumstances than these), and so the idea of a man standing up and taking care of his kids isn't that unusual to me, it just seems like the right thing to do. But I understand that in many communities this is almost an unheard of exception to the rule, and that's what makes this book so touching for those people.

From the bits of the movie that I saw, I think I may enjoy the movie more than the book - unusual for me. We'll see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pursuit of Happyness.