Bookworm1858's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Jun 03, 10

bookshelves: read-2009, ya-read
Read in December, 2009

I didn't really like Mary-she's pretty selfish and boring. I was interested in her desire to see the oceans. After the Return, everyone was confined to the village and never could see anything outside so the idea of an ocean could be very compelling. She was interested in Travis although I could never tell why-it seemed to be more of a physical thing.

Throughout there are many questions, a few of which are answered but most are left unresolved, presumably to be answered in the sequel coming out next year. I don't know yet if I'll want to read it; I may just look for spoilers online. It seems like Mary is something special as she is able to fight off the zombies especially well even without the training of her male peers. The Sisters and Guardians are the religious and military figures of the village and there are still mysteries revolving around them which will hopefully be explored more.

Overall: I have to say that I've never been very interested in zombies, vampires, werewolves, faeries, etc; basically the only supernatural stuff I like is wizards/sorcerers so that may influence my opinion. If you are interested in apocalyptic stuff/zombies, you'll probably enjoy this, but I have to go with a 3.5/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.