Christina's Reviews > Love on a Dime

Love on a Dime by Cara Lynn James

Jun 03, 10

Recommended for: yes
Read from June 01 to 03, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

With social rules to follow and the threat of being ostracized, Lily Westbrook walks a fine line between truth and lies. By keeping her secret from her family, she deceives them. But in her heart she believes she is doing the Lord’s will by helping those in need.

Lily’s conflict is realistic and one that crosses the ages. Remember how Michal chastised David for dancing before the Ark? In her eyes it wasn’t proper and she felt embarassed. Her eyes weren’t necessarily upon the Lord. Love on a Dime isn’t just a story about Lily and Jackson’s growth in the Lord. It’s a story about how one women defies societal conventions, even if it is in secret, and reaches out to touch those less fortunate than herself. I’m not saying whether Lily’s actions are right or they are wrong, and I won’t give away any spoilers here, but she never once wavered in her belief that what society saw as wrong was what God willed her to do.

To be honest, I didn’t know what to expect from Cara Lynn James, but I have to say Love on a Dime is quite the surprising debut novel. Although it isn’t fabulously extraordinary, it will find its way on my keeper shelf once I’ve passed it around to my family and friends.

In today’s market where many books are written with fast paced plots and pay little attention to detail, Love on a Dime is a delightful stroll on the beach. Set in Rhode Island during the Gilded Age, Cara Lynn James brings to life the social setting of the elite and those trying to gain entrance. I appreciate all the little accouterments that are so often left off the pages. I didn’t feel robbed of the little details. And although there were plenty of twists and turns, I definitely didn’t feel overstuffed with it. Whether a writer or not, one can’ help but relate to the lovely Lilly Westbrook. And what an unlikely, and very captivating, hero Jackson Grail makes.

Now for the down side. There were a few times when I felt the conflict between Lily and Jackson could have easily been resolved. That being said, all in all the story is charming and very well written. I see a promise of fabulously extraordinary novels in the future and I will wait expectantly for James’ next novel.

Sittings: 3

Hours: 4

Recommend: Yes
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love on a Dime.