K's Reviews > The Manual of Detection

The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry

Jun 03, 10

bookshelves: library

Something about this book (title? concept?) had me questioning adding it to my TBR pile, thinking I’d be bored. It wasn’t long into the precise opening before those thoughts disappeared.

Unwin is an unwitting detective who wakes up to find himself in the middle of a mystery that upends his organized life. He needs to sort it out quickly to get back his job on the fourteenth floor and the reassurance of old cases long solved and archived. The clerk cum detective is a guileless (Jason Schwartzman’s Jonathan Ames in Bored to Death) and obvious (Lily Tomlin’s Vivian in I Heart Huckabees), but not at all inept, driving force in this book. He was all neat facts and I liked seeing how he got to the end.
He was seeing the world from the other side now—from the center of the mystery, out into the lighted place he had once inhabited.

It’s an amusing and bizarre noir detective story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Manual of Detection.

Quotes K Liked

Jedediah Berry
“All the world's a rube, and he who tries to prove otherwise will be the first to wake onstage, victim of our just ridicule.”
Jedediah Berry, The Manual of Detection