Amanda French's Reviews > Why Buffy Matters: The Art of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Why Buffy Matters by Rhonda V. Wilcox

Jun 03, 10

I didn't really love this book, and here's why: 1) she says she's writing to persuade people that "Buffy matters," but I of course (like most of the people who would read this book, surely) am already convinced of that, and 2) her "argument" that Buffy matters seems to me to be mostly enacted rather than argued -- in other words, the book seems to think that the best way to argue that Buffy matters is to legitimize it by writing stuffy academic essays about it.

Don't get me wrong: I like a good stuffy academic essay as well as the next person. But the book is divided in half, with the first part being general essays and the second part being essays on individual episodes, and the second half is particularly unreadable. I'd have given her close readings of individual episodes a B at best if she'd turned them in in the literature classes I've taught, because they amount to appreciative summary rather than true interpretation. I will say that I liked the general essays better, and those are worth a glance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Buffy Matters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Hmm, perhaps I was a bit over-enthusiastic. But I still really like the essay on 'The Zeppo'. Anyway, if you find better coverage, let me know!

Amanda French Perhaps I'll write some! :)