Elizabeth's Reviews > Hardcore Zen: Punk Rock, Monster Movies and the Truth About Reality

Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner

2054004
Jun 04, 10

bookshelves: summer-2010
Read in June, 2010

Although I do have interest in the topic, and it serves a major relevance within my own life, I think that this novel could undeniably speak volumes to those people who don’t give a rats ass about Buddhism. Why? Warner does more than skip straight to the true meaning of Buddhism, Warner speaks about living within the moment (he touches on the notion of one having ‘no past, no present, and no future,’ which made me elated - if you are able to directly connect and understand that notion then you will be able to realize that Warner is not discussing the cliche version of how to live in the moment, either), how to achieve the ability to recognize reality and eventually be able to accept it, and how to generally live a truly fulfilling life. Warner goes beyond that, though. Did I mention that he is a hardcore punk turned Zen Master (I know that it sounds cheesy, trust me, I thought so too, but it’s all relevant)? Warner draws in references to living a punk lifestyle, as well as other various pop culture phenomenons, and then makes the connection as to how these do (and do not) run parallel to Buddhism. Aside from that, this book is an easy read, set in a very conversational tone, and I guarantee that if for whatever reason you’re not impressed, you will be able to walk away with you the idea that you have read a book that has literally made you laugh out loud (if this book doesn’t do that for you, I am truly at a loss for words). But really, give this book a shot. I think that everyone could take something away from it - regardless to how big or small that something may be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hardcore Zen.

06/03/2010 page 111