Elisha Condie's Reviews > The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan

Jun 04, 10

Read from June 03 to 04, 2010

We signed up for the summer reading program at our library this week and when the librarian casually said "Now you can pick out a free book from these carts" it was all I could do not to knock both my kids over and the nice older lady in front of me to get there faster. And I got this lovely book from the cart. I love the library.

This book is about Evelyn Ryan, a housewife with 10(!) kids, an alcoholic husband, and lots of energy. She starts entering jingle contests and begins to win things her family can't afford like appliances, bikes, and even cars. The book was written by her daughter Terry, who writes about memories of her mom working on poems while ironing and all the kids trying to help out with rhymes. More than once the contest winnings provide salvation in the form of goods that the family needed and didn't know where they'd come from.

I loved Evelyn Ryan. She is hopeful, and optimistic, and hard working. I did get the sinking feeling I'm a whiner, and pessimistic, and lazy compared to her though. It was a pleasure to read about this family and how this lady loved her life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna I loved the movie based on the book. I've always wanted to read it but just haven't done it yet. After I saw the movie, I wanted to be like her (minus the alcoholic husband) and win prizes. I entered a bunch of stuff online but never won.