Alina's Reviews > Rough Canvas

Rough Canvas by Joey W. Hill

Jul 01, 10

bookshelves: mm-romance
Read in June, 2010

I have just finished this book. What an intense and emotional read!!! Even though I am not usually a BDSM fan, I have still given this a 4 star rating. In fact, I felt the BDSM element worked much better in this type of story, and definitely contributed to the characters and how I perceived them - in addition to being incredibly emotional as well! I don't know of many authors (besides Cameron Dane) that can portray sex in such an emotionally gripping way.

I loved Thomas and Marcus, and even though I suspected that Marcus was really the more damaged of the two, the author makes the transition/revelation so seamless and natural that it still made me tear up. I fell in love with shy and serious Thomas as well as magnetic and intense Marcus. Wow, what men!!!

The only moment that felt a little unreal to me was the secondary character of Walter Briggs. He just seemed to be too wise and free with valuable advice for the way he was portrayed when first meeting the characters. Oh, and the mothers' (both of them) quick acceptance at the end was a little too speedy, but didn't detract from the book (at least for me).

In addition, Marcus' back story was bit TOO much?

All in all, I will definitely go out of my way to find Ms. Hill's books in the future - what a wonderful and gripping read!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rough Canvas.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY Thanks for the review, Alina. I've been recommended this several times but still haven't gotten round to reading. The book has been languishing in my TBR list since I bought it in '07.

I'll bump it up to read next.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Marcus back story was WAY too much!! All the rest of her stuff is m/f and it is all BDSM. It's very similar to this in feel and tone, though. So if you like m/f you might try "Ice Queen" and its sequel "Mirror of My Soul". It's really all one story and the first book REALLY needs the sequel to make sense.

Alina Kate, I have actually acquired both Ice Queen and Mirror of My Soul, so will probably be looking into them soon. I actually read this book a while back, and downgraded my rating to a 4 today because I tend to write my reviews soon after reading the book, and if my opinion changes significantly after a short wait (i.e. some flaws become clearer once the emotional high wears off ~blush~) I lower the rating by one star. A truly 5 star read usually survives the test of time. LOL

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I know what you mean. I had initially rated this one a 4 :)

message 5: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY Alina wrote: "Kate, I have actually acquired both Ice Queen and Mirror of My Soul, so will probably be looking into them soon."

I'll be looking out for your review of Marguerite's and Tyler's story. I'm not a BDSM fan and their book is one of the first erotic romances I read. I recall being so relieved I'd bought Mirror, not even knowing at the time that it's actually Part 2 of the story.

Those two books are one of the 5-star ones that stand the test of time for me.

@Kate: I'm still dilly-dallying with picking up Rough Canvas and now that I've made up my mind to read Special Forces, nothing else is going to exist for me for the next few weeks (I'm a slow reader - only got a few hours a day reading time).

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Elaine wrote: "I'm still dilly-dallying with picking up Rough Canvas and now that I've made up my mind to read Special Forces, nothing else is going to exist for me for the next few weeks (I'm a slow reader - only got a few hours a day reading time). ..."

Rough Canvas is like a piece of candy compared to a full course meal of Special Forces. Enjoy yourself. I haven't reread it yet, but Soldiers is tempting me.

Alina Had I not already made up my mind that I will definitely be reading Special Forces, I would be convinced by your remarks here... But whether or not you should read Rough Canvas... I have to say that of all the M/M BDSM novels out there, it is one of the better ones (not to be compared to Uneven by Anah Crow, though).

message 8: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY Alina wrote: "I have to say that of all the M/M BDSM novels out there, it is one of the better ones (not to be compared to Uneven by Anah Crow, though)."

I enjoyed Uneven and even though I've liked only 3 of Joey Hill's books, I'd be surprised if Rough Canvas is not as good as Uneven. From the three I've read (Ice, Queen, Mirror of My Soul & Natural Law) I see Hill's writing as more sophisticated, I never have to cringe at her words, phrases or worry about bad grammer. But that's the technical stuff. Her stories themselves don't always appeal and she can get slowed down by details and from some of the reviews, this happens in Rough Canvas, too. It was the reason why I abandoned Holding the Cards. I think, if I'm not mistaken, Marcus from Holding the Cards, is the Marcus in RC.

Re. Special Forces: I started it last night and only got to the part where Dan meets Vadim again at the conference following the rape. Not very far, I know, but the World Cup was on...