Debbie's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

1945325
Nov 06, 10

bookshelves: interesting-fonts
Recommended to Debbie by: http://www.myfriendamysblog.com/2010/05/5-books-im-buzzing-over-from-book-expo.html

It’s interesting that a book in which I could have predicted almost every turn of the story was still an amazing read. I am a huge fan of Lauren Oliver’s writing and this book was a great follow up to her previous book, Before I Fall. The premise of the story is a refreshing take on the dystopia genre. I’ve read other stories that compare love to a disease based on how it can make people feel and behave but I would have never imagined a world in which people would try to “cure” this affliction.

Can you imagine living in a world in which people above the age of 18 couldn’t love anyone else. Couples are paired up based on factors other than love. This state does leave me with one question that while it is sort of addressed I still did not find the explanation plausible is why do families still exist? It seems to make more sense that couples would have children that would be raised in some sort of separate community instead of with their parents. It’s hard to imagine people who are incapable of love raising children. They make mention about how very few people did kill their children because of emotional detachment but really as a parent I can’t imagine putting up with infants, toddlers, teens, etc without love giving you patience to get through the hard times.

Other than that I liked both Lena and Alex. Lena wasn’t perfect but that made her all the more relatable and the supporting characters of her best friend, Hana, her young cousins and her older sister Rachel all provided a nice foil of how living in this type of world can affect people in different ways. This is another amazing story from Lauren Oliver.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.