Genny's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Jul 20, 2016

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2016-books, re-reading
Read from July 13 to 20, 2016

2016 added on to review**I had forgotten so much of this story, I found it really engaging the second time, maybe more so since I knew not to expect Percy Jackson to make an appearance and last time I kept waiting for him! This time I could just focus on the story and the characters of Jason, Piper, and Leo. I find that adding in the Roman aspects to the Gods to be really intriguing and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Review from 2010- It is always a challenge when an author takes a well loved series (Percy Jackson) and continues the story, with new main characters. The three main characters (Jason, Piper and Leo) are engaging, well defined, and I am interested in getting to know more about them. Characters from the original Camp Halfblood are present and a part of the storyline, even if they are not the main storyline. This helps connect the first series with the second series. It makes the reader feel like they are returning to a world they have already enjoyed, just for a new adventure this time around.

While the story does shift focus from chapter to chapter, I did not find this varying point of view distracting, as I did in The Red Pyramid. Partly because the narrative always stayed in the third person, but just focused on what was happening with on character, or one character's point of view.

The pieces of this quest are laid out nicely, the reader can pick up little clues along the way, but not enough that the twists and turns are not enjoyable. I am anxious for the next book as I am excited to see where this journey goes and to see the return of more of my favorite characters from Percy Jackson.

I also want to note that while I enjoyed Mr Riordan's The Red Pyramid, I found the story telling uneven and unpolished. That is not the case with this book, it was a much smoother, more engaging read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.

07/13 marked as: read