KidsFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Blueberries for Sal

Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey

J PIC MCCLOSKEY
This is probably my all time favorite book I ever read for children, on a personal level. I love Robert McCloskey's illustrations, and books. This story reminds me of being a child, and my mother reading this book to me. It imparts a valuable lesson about what can happen if you get separated from your mother. You could end up all mixed up on Blueberry Hill with bears! Constantly testing my parents' boundaries, and being independent were always themes in my childhood, as with most children, and this book shows the importance of not getting too far from your mother's powerful protective sphere. The expressions on the faces of Litttle Sal's Mother and Little Bear's Mother are priceless. The fact that the bears and Little Sal and her mother are all picking berries, and storing them for winter is another valuable lesson that the earth can sustain us, and we can plan ahead for the future. If you've ever picked blueberries, or blackberries, or harvested food from the earth with your family, you can relate to this book on a deeply personal level. I've picked blueberries in Maine, blackberries, fiddleheads, and strawberries in Vermont, huckleberries in Wyoming, and love to feel the dirt between my fingers gardening. I feel my connection to family/ancestors and the earth strongly intertwined. This book reminds me of all that and more! (Suzy)

This book would be a great gift for any preschooler, or child with an interest in animals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blueberries for Sal.