Lauren's Reviews > Gods and Generals

Jun 03, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, history, war
Recommended to Lauren by: My Sister and Pastor
Recommended for: Anyone with a faint background in Civil War history

I love how Jeff Shaara writes. It takes some getting used to, yes, but once you get used to it...Brilliant! Outstanding!!!!!! I especially love how he focuses on the army, barely touches the political side of the war-and when the political side is touched, it's mostly negative.

I'd never thought to deeply about the Civil war until this school year. Now, with this book coming to top off my school year, I must say
history is a whole lot more complicated then I thought.

The story begins in 1858 (57??? not sure which) with some background information on the men the story focused on: Robert E. Lee, Winfeild Scott Hancock, Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, and Joshua Lauwrence Chamberlain. These four men and their experiences in the Civil War form the main story.

I knew most of the battle's outcomes due to reading "Stonewall Jackson: a portrait of a soldier," right before reading "Gods and Generals." But all the same, the masterful way Shaara wove the story...It was amazing. Actually, though, the thing that fascinated me the most was the Generals of the North. A parade of men going through. President Lincoln really didn't have much luck at all choosing a commander. I lost track of how many generals had been in command and had to look it up. I think by the Battle of Chancellorsville, there'd been at least 4 different commanders.

I wish highschools would teach history like this. Most of my friends hate social studies, but I ADORE history.

Read this book! One of the most wonderful books on the main Civil War battles I've read in a long time.
4 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gods and Generals.