Sam's Reviews > Going Bovine

2053483
Jun 14, 10

bookshelves: ya
Read from June 03 to 09, 2010

Talk about a departure from her previous work! Of course I was going to read this because it's a Printz winner- I've been meaning to get around to it for a while now.

Cameron Smith is a slacker living in the shadow of his over ambitious twin sister. When he finds out that those things he's seeing aren't from drugs but from the human form of Mad Cow Disease which is totally incurable, Cam is bummed. But a punk-rock angel named Dulcie tells him that there's a man named Dr. X who has a cure and gives him a special bracelet that will hold off his disease for 2 weeks so he can find him. And so Cameron embarks on an adventure with his classmate and hospital roommate, a dwarf who goes by the nickname 'Gonzo'. Together they head towards Florida where all the little signs are pointing them towards Dr. X and end up on an insane adventure involving lawn gnomes, cars with (bull) horns, crazy cults, snow globes, and a massive summer party. Will Cam get to the doctor in time to be saved?

Sounds like fun, right? OMG. Most depressing book ever in the end. It killed me. Normally a book that sticks with me like that would get higher marks. However, I feel like Bray really played down what could have been a much more in-depth story. Certain elements are repeated over and over again until you want to scream "I don't give a crap about the Copenhagen Interpretation!" I know it's a YA book, but man, it could have been more. Especially true given how touching the story was overall.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Bovine.