Abby's Reviews > My Lord and Spymaster

My Lord and Spymaster by Joanna Bourne

Jul 19, 10

bookshelves: romance, historical-fiction, favorites, beachreads
Read from July 16 to 18, 2010

When Jess's father, wealthy trader Josiah Whitby, is arrested on the suspicion of being notorious French spy "Cinq", Jess starts to do some digging of her own to clear her father's name. When she lands on Captain Kennett as the most likely suspect she concocts a brazen plan to pick his pockets in search of information. Jess's little escapade rapidly escalates into a street brawl and near-kidnapping and Kennett must spirit the feisty Jess to safety. Sparks fly, romance follows, as well as one of the best written, most interesting historical romances I've ever read.

Why I Picked it Up:

I read Bourne's Spymaster's Lady and liked it immensely. This one's even better. If you are ever sick of the whirlwind of balls, musicale's and society events, then get one of Bourne's novels. They're tough, gritty and fascinating with their depictions of early British Secret Service. It's like a Regency version of MI-5 (or Spooks, depending on where you watch the show.) Love how honest and real the characters are. Love the new and interesting settings. LOVE getting away from all the silks and lace and frippery of the London Season.

Who Would Like It: Emily B for sure! Lauren B because she'll love the romance scenes that could peel wallpaper, and Tess. This just might be her gateway into romance novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lord and Spymaster.