Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Warded Man

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

Mar 10, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, 2010, favorites
Read from June 11 to 15, 2010

Three survivors of demon attacks spend their younger years learning to fight the corelings in their own ways. Rojer becomes a Jongleur, a wandering minstrel whose fiddle playing can ward off the demon's attack. Leesha becomes a healer and herb gatherer. And Arlen walks the path of a Messenger. At least at first...

Wow. I have to admit I wasn't expecting a whole lot with this book. Fantasy in a pseudo-European setting? Yawn city. Imagine my delight when the book proved to be a breath of fresh air in the stagnating fantasy genre. Demons rising from the core of the planet every night, killing anyone who isn't behind protective wards? Great stuff.

The Warded Man follows the lives of three young characters, switching viewpoints quite often. All three are well drawn. Arlen's anger at his mother's death and his father's cowardice are believably done, as are his later obsessions. Leesha's fear of opening up to people because of the way her mother treated her and Rojer's insecurities about his missing fingers are likewise well done.

While most of the towns depicted were standard fantasy pseudo-Europe, I did enjoy Krasia, Brett's version of the Middle East. The Krasian's attitudes toward fighting the corelings was a nice contrast to everyone else's.

Things really took off in the last third of the book. The Warded Man of the title is a very interesting character, so much more three dimensional than most fantasy heroes. Tattooed, angry, and eating demon flesh. The way the three main characters came together was well done and not contrived.

If you are looking for fantasy with a different flavor, give this a shot.
50 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warded Man.

06/12 page 20
5.0% "Slightly underwhelmed so far."
03/09 marked as: read
show 15 hidden updates…

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent It was definitely a page turner. I can't wait to see what happens to The Warded Man and his friends in the next book.

seak Loved this book. I was just immediately sucked into the world. The Desert Spear is really good too, just beware that the first third or so focuses on Krasia.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Seak wrote: "Loved this book. I was just immediately sucked into the world. The Desert Spear is really good too, just beware that the first third or so focuses on Krasia."

I read Desert Spear right after I read this one. The first third was a little slow going but it paid off. I'm really ready for the next one to come out in 2012.

Speaking of Desert Spear, Do you think Leesha is pregnant with the Deliverer's kid?

seak Definitely.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Seak wrote: "Definitely.

And sorry about The Desert Spear pep talk. I just looked back and saw you had already read it and immediately felt like a dummy. :)"

No harm done. I have a feeling that maybe Leesha and Jardir's kid will end up being the real Deliverer when the dust settles in the next book.

seak Ohh, I didn't even think of that. That would be crazy and work well. This seems like something Brett would do because it's traditional fantasy with a bit of a twist as you say - especially with how dark Arlen has become and his new tendencies.

message 8: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Craven I've been on the fence with this one for a bit but you've won me over. It feels like a guilty pleasure read to me. Then again I thought that about Lies of Locke Lamora and ended up loving it. I just bought Warded Man today. Ill probably take it on vacation with me along with Swan Song.

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent I hope you like it. I liked The Warded Man and The Desert Spear quite a bit. The third book in the series didn't really do it for me though.

message 10: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Craven Fantasy is my favorite genre but if it's too ham-fisted I have a hard time not rolling my eyes. It seemed like this one could go either way but your review made it sound more than competent. Thanks! I look forward to reading it!