Krystle's Reviews > Cold Magic

Cold Magic by Kate Elliott

Jun 03, 2010

Read from January 10 to 11, 2011

I’ve held off on this review for long enough, haven’t I? Well, let’s get started then. Cold Magic is fabulous!

I think the strongest part of the book is the world building. There is great depth and complexity woven through it, created with a great deal of intricate thought. Not only is there an established rank of classes with all its ensuing ramifications (prejudice, the dynamic between the rich and the poor, etc), careful economic considerations (what makes the poor, poorer and what makes the rich, richer, and what the society revolves around), and the complicated battle between science and magic. Or you can take this as an upgraded version of Victorian society which is what the alternate history in this book is based off of.

Also, the author has created a diverse world of many ethnicities, Cat herself being one, and of course, also, Andevai, the male protagonist. But there are many more allusions in the book. It’s awesome. I can totally envision this world as being real and dropping myself in it.

The relationships are also a fantastic high point of the book. I love how close Cat and her cousin, Bee, are in here. They might only be cousins but they were raised almost as sisters and it’s wonderful to see how devoted and loyal they are to both each other no matter what nasty things they encounter along the way. It’s refreshing to see that they keep their love for each other strong and don’t go the way of misunderstandings, misconceptions, and what not to make them vilify the other like some stories do.

Ah, I can’t forget about the romance. Aha, that got your interest did it? It’s actually very subtle and not very prominent in that the focus of the novel shifts away from the main plot to build up their love-love times. I’m quite happy about that. This is no insta-lust/love. It takes them quite a while to grow into their feelings for each other. Mainly because Cat is headstrong and stubborn, but determined, while Andevai is arrogant, detached, and riddled with a superiority complex because of his magical schooling. He is cool to her and not at all friendly but it’s very understandable once you understand the reasons behind his behavior. I’m sure I would behave the same way.

I don’t know why people call this book steampunk, because it’s not really. Except for one instance of a dirigible there really isn’t anything else concrete to make it a steampunk book. Especially since this world is based on/firmly grounded in magic and not on steam-powered creations. Maybe we’ll see more of the steampunk side in the later books, but this is firmly in the fantasy genre for me.

Sometimes the world building does tend to overshadow the narrative at times but the pace of this book is fast and addictive, you won’t really mind it all that much. I’m really curious, though, if Andevai is stated as being cold all the time due to his magic, is he like some… popsicle all the time? Because that is not very… attractive. Haha. But other than that, there are few qualms I have with this book.

This is one of the few books I can see straddling the crossover boundary. It’s not quite YA (she’s 19), but not yet adult. It’s firmly in the middle. A rare breed if I do say so myself.

I love this book! I can’t wait for the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Magic.

01/10/2011 page 136
26.0% "This book is pretty interesting."
01/11/2011 page 344
65.0% "Woo. Omg."
05/20/2016 marked as: read

Nafiza You liked ittttt!! :D

Krystle Yeah, it was pretty good. XD. I wish there was more romance, haha. And damn WTF is she?! I'm guessing... ALIEN MUTANT BABY! Lmao.

Nafiza That kiss in the end. I swooned about ten different ways. It was pretty lame. Haha. And she's a split between human, cat and dragon? Okay, alien dragon!

Krystle Don't worry I swooned and squealed and was like, "damn, over too soon." LoL.