Shannon's Reviews > The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga

Jun 07, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, fiction, read-in-2010
Read from June 03 to 07, 2010

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl is a book I want my kids - and every teenager - to read. It deals with some serious and sensitive subject matter in a way that I think is very real and relatable. In my opinion, it establishes itself as an instant young adult classic.

My youngest checked this out of the library and I picked it up to see what he's reading, and I was immediately drawn in. I could relate to Fanboy, remembering as I read that awkwardness and shyness I felt as a teenager. Fanboy is a kid after my own heart, and my heart broke with his at points in the story. I celebrated his triumphs and was proud for those moments when he grew up in bits. Lyga does a superb job of conveying that self-centered teenage angst when whatever-that-one-thing-is-that's-important-to-you is the most important thing in the world. At the end of the book I was left wanting more (way more!) and was sorry to see the story end there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl.

06/06/2010 page 153