Guy's Reviews > The Weather Makers: How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth

The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery

Jun 03, 10

bookshelves: ecology, science-and-technology
Read in June, 2010

If, like most people, you have been drifting along, vaguely aware that there might be something called global warming and that it might have some not so good consequences, but you haven't really taken the time to work out how serious it is and whether or not it is something that you could or should do something about... then do yourself, the rest of us, and the animals and plants with which we share the world a favor and read this book. It is short, easy to understand, based on personal experience and solid research, and is guaranteed to shock you out of your slumbering complacency (if you are one of those aforementioned drifters).

"The Weather Makers" isn't perfect, but it is effective, and that, for most potential readers, is more important. Once aware, awake, and concerned, then you can find other books that marshal the scientific evidence more carefully and comprehensively (if you still have questions about how bad global warming could become and what catastrophic effects it will have), or which give you a wider set of recommendations as to what you can do personally or what needs to be done collectively (if you are ready to take action), but you need to wake up to the danger first.

So read this book and if it works for you then recommend it further to several friends (who should recommend it further to various of their friends... and so on). There may be better reasons to start a chain-letter than waking up to the risks of global warming, but if so, I don't know what they might be.

Note: this review is for the 2005 edition which has apparently been reissued and updated extensively in 2010. I'll post a review for the updated version once I've read it. There's also a young adult edition of this book that was published in 2010.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weather Makers.