Laura Leaney's Reviews > The Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes

The Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes by Bill Watterson

Jun 04, 10

If I'd have met Calvin in second grade, we'd still be married. It's really hard to find a good boy with a tiger.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes.

message 1: by Connie (new)

Connie ...How many boys do you know that have tiger companions?...

Laura Leaney None. That's the trouble. Tigers are absolutely de rigueur for adventures and for world navigation. Orange stripes, a soft muzzle, and sad brown eyes also help heal the wounded heart.

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie Like Pi and his tiger. Except I'm pretty sure that that tiger doesn't have a soft muzzle and sad brown eyes.

Laura Leaney Hey, yeah! I forgot about Richard Parker the tiger! I remember that part where Pi makes a list of his duties for survival (and I have to wing it here) he writes something like:
Wake up
Prayers
lunch
Write in diary
Study Richard Parker

That was a pretty good book!

message 5: by Shar (new)

Shar I have many fond memories of being kept awake by my brother's poorly-stifled laughter in the next room as he read these collections by flashlight. Calvin & Hobbes is one of those rarities in any genre or medium that truly has something for every audience. The slap-stick silliness had me in stitches as a kid, and I am still in awe of the witty satire that was over my head until I was guffawing at it as a college student. My husband and I bought the complete collection as a wedding present to ourselves, and it's one of the crown jewels of our library.

Laura Leaney It IS a crown jewel! This comic contains my favorite truism: "There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." Genius.

message 7: by Nandakishore (new)

Nandakishore Varma My ten-year old is calvin to life. Many of his statements could be actually picked from the strip! This is one strip the whole family reads every day.

Laura Leaney He must be a boy with a powerful imagination. I love it!