Kaylea's Reviews > The Choice

The Choice by Suzanne Woods Fisher

Jun 02, 2010

bookshelves: see-blog-for-more-info
Read in January, 2010

One of the things I liked about Fisher's novel is that the characters seem believable - sometimes more so than other Amish novels on the market today.

Fisher said she is very deliberate about making her characters "realistic" for readers.

"Some of it comes from giving characters flaws, so that they become believable," Fisher explained. "Readers can identify with a character when he/she isn’t perfect."

One of those realistic characters is Steelhead, who unexpectedly appears in the novel and shows his faith in a non-conventional, raw and emotional way.

"I don’t know if there could really be a guy like Steelhead, swooping in and falling in love with an Amish spinster," Fisher said. "I guess that’s where fiction steps in! But the reason I wrote that sub-plot was for contrast and surprise. Emma seemed so boxed up, so attached to rules, yet she dearly wanted to love and be loved. Carrie was so on the fence about so many things in life, yet her greatest need wasn’t love, it was finding herself."

In all honesty, I really enjoyed this novel. I loved how this book captured my attention from the first chapter. (I can't always say that about a book.)

I also found that Fisher's background, gives her book an air of credibility. She's not just writing about a culture that is unfamiliar. She has lived and breathed this world - through her research and her family.

If you like Amish fiction, I believe you will love this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Choice.