Kaylea's Reviews > Jenna's Cowboy

Jenna's Cowboy by Sharon Gillenwater

Jun 02, 10

bookshelves: see-blog-for-more-info
Read in January, 2010

I really enjoyed Jenna's Cowboy. I immediately fell in love with the town, the characters and Gillenwater's colorful descriptions of life on a West Texas ranch.

I thought the struggles she gave Nate were authentic and well written. As a friend whose husband is in the military once said, Army life is not a "drama." It's not a Lifetime movie special.

Nate's struggle with PTSD, and the other characters reaction to it, seemed genuine.

I found Jenna's struggle to piece her life back together, after being (not quite literally) kicked in the teeth by her "football star" ex-husband an honest portrayal of how a woman can literally pull herself up from the bottom of a pit, thorugh the help of family and faith.

Gillenwater's characters are real. They aren't full of saccharine. They could be the guy or gal next door.

One of my favorite scenes: the homecoming parade that takes place shortly after Nate returns home. Thanks to the "small town" grapevine, everyone finds ways to show that they care for Nate - through business marquees and other statements.

He is welcomed home, in the truest sense, not just because he's a returning veteran, but because everyone cares for him.

Callahan's Crossing, as a town, shows off small-town Americana at its best.

Jenna's Cowboy is a good read. Don't be surprised if you find yourself staying up late to finish it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jenna's Cowboy.