Mel's Reviews > Admission

Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz

Jun 02, 2010

liked it
Read in June, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did, even though I did appreciate it from some viewpoints. I think I would have been a lot more fascinated with it if I were younger and had just gone through the admissions process, or if I had yet to go through it. It does have the feel of an insider look at the Princeton admission process, especially since the author was actually a reader for a while. And that part is pretty fascinating, how they decide who gets in. Honestly, given a bunch of amazing students with good scores and experiences, it feels like a crap shoot. Makes me glad I didn't bother with the Ivy league application experience :)

The other parts of the plot were middling at best. I wanted more from her separation from her sig. other, and I wanted more from her past as well. And more from her relationship with her mother. I think there was promise in all of these areas, but they fell a bit short. If I had paid for the book, I might have been more disappointed.

Still, I finished and was more or less satisfied with this book, but I won't be heartily recommending it any time soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Admission.