Dorothy's Reviews > Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder

Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv

F 50x66
Jun 14, 10

bookshelves: book-club
Read from June 02 to 10, 2010

This book club book was engaging for roughly the first half, then sort of fell apart for me. But still, it gets you thinking about going outdoors more, and the benefits that nature offers!

I think the author tried to be generous to urban settings, but by the end, after a bunch of contradictions and wishy-washy statements, I felt that he was rather biased toward an all-out "nature experience" in the woods or what have you. In my opinion, just being outside is enough, and the nature available in the city is totally fine and healthy for getting in your nature play. Also, much introspection and personal growth can be had on urban wanderings in the concrete jungle -- something it's obvious the author hasn't ever enjoyed.

Yes, Mr. Louv, not all of us grew up in the suburbs or rural areas, not all of us had "the ravine behind the house" or "the ditch by the road". And not everyone under, what, 50 years old is totally nature-deprived and oblivious to everything. Hmph!

Also by the end, his idealistic manifestos totally overwhelmed me to the point of not listening, and some of his utopian "everyone should spread far out into small towns, and cities should have 40,000 people max" just struck me as crazy, compared to everything I know about urban planning and such.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Child in the Woods.