Sophie Riggsby's Reviews > Personal Demons

bookshelves: chemistry-101
Read in September, 2010

4.5 out of 5 stars

Dear Luc,
I wasn't supposed to fall for you. You see, you are everything I don't like. I mean let's start with the obvious, shall we Mr. Cain? You are a DEMON. And as a Mundie Mom I prefer my fictional boy interests to be more, you know, angelic?

But then I met you and things changed. I loved how Lisa switched between your point-of-view and Frannie's. I'm glad she didn't show your counterpart's, Gabe's. After all, he is the obvious Good Guy. I didn't want to know anything more about him than what Frannie told me. I know he's pure, can't be tempted and smells (pardon the pun) heavenly.

With the turning of each page, I wanted to know more about you, Luc. When you showed me your home, which just happens to be Hell, my heart ached for you. The heat. The molten rivers. Your fellow demons. I kept thinking what it would be like if I had to live there and work for the Department of Acquisitions tagging souls day in and day out. In fact, I think I did work in a place similar to that, but that's an entirely different story.

Next time you see Lisa please thank her and tell her that Personal Demons is a delicious new entry in the Heaven vs. Hell theme. Now, you may find me in my kitchen cabinet with my eyes closed trying to smell that spice bottle of cinnamon. And Luc dear, I'm sure you know why.

Until next year when Original Sin comes out I remain yours,
-Sophie

P.S. Be sure to thank Lisa for writing that incredible tension between you and Frannie as well as you and Gabe. Please, pass on to her how many times I laughed while reading (there were a lot of chuckles and a few flat out "HAs!"). Also, tell her how very much I loved the character of Frannie's grandpa. Everyone should have a grandpa like that.
51 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Personal Demons.

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Desrochers LOL! I only clicked that I LIKEd this review because there wasn't a LOVE button. =) Glad Luc did it for you.

Sophie Riggsby Lisa - Don't get me wrong...Gabe was a cool dude. Frannie's choice was tough!!!! But Luc?!? Delish.

message 3: by Ayesha (new) - added it

Ayesha So I thought I was waiting for Personal Demons to come in for me from the library. The library hasn't ordered it in yet, apparently (just checked). I haven't been on the edge of my seat breathless for it like I was for Clockwork Angel (omg you're a Mundie Mom and I love you! :D). However, this review has now got me waiting for Personal Demons with tummy-twisting anticipation and I fully intend to head out to the bookstore right after Anatomy&Physiology lab to pick it up, even if it makes me broke all over again. :))

Sophie Riggsby Oh man, I love our library but they don't always purchase the books I want to read. They do about 70% of the time though. Be sure to check Borders, they just emailed a 30% off one item coupon.

PD is different than CA as I'm sure you guessed from my review. PD is very funny and sets up a classic Love Triangle. Luc is an extremely delightful character to read.

A&P, eh? Enjoy. I loved all my science (except for Physics) classes. LOVED them. Especially the labs. We dissected some interesting things like a sheep's eye.

Be sure to stop by Mundie Moms' blog and enter those contests of ours. Really fun stuff will be given away soon (like CA audiobooks)!

Sophie Riggsby I have to add this comment from MMs blog because it is MY FAVORITE. Thank you Lisa Desrochers for making me laugh once again. I thought some of you may enjoy it:

Anonymous said...
Dear Sophie--
Ahh... I've done my job. One more convert. And, you're too kind. Really. We'll have to do something about that.

I'll pass your message on to Lisa, but even she admits she had nothing to do with this. She's just the poorly paid help with the laptop.

If you'd ever like a tour of Hell, please know that I'm ready, willing and VERY able to take you...there.

Luc
- - - -
Here's the link to the MMs post: http://mundiemoms.blogspot.com/2010/0...

message 6: by Ayesha (new) - added it

Ayesha Sophie: A) Have you read Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins? If not, I -highly recommend it.- :)

B)CA was amazingly, ridiculously fantastic :) I'm still percolating alll the things I hardcore hearted about it before I attempt to write a review on here.

C) please, please, please let me tag along on your tour with Luc (I know now he dislikes it being spelled "Luke" - read up to that point on GoogleBooks pre-lab :D)
I must now go forth and devour the rest of the story that I totally just bought post-lab :)

message 7: by Marye (new) - added it

Marye Dear Sophie,
Because of your review, I am going to have to read this book.
Marye

message 8: by Sophie (last edited Sep 14, 2010 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie Riggsby Ayesha - A) LOL. Read it. Loved it. And could've written a very similar letter to Archer...declaring my love for him and ability to leave my family at a minute's notice to persue hexy moments in the cellar. I'm kidding. He's fictional. And I wouldn't leave my family. But there are moments, let me tell you. :]

B) Clockwork Angel is fantastic (period). LOVED IT beyond measure.

C) You are invited on the tour. Sure. But I've been there before for 14 months when I had a job I despised and a boss who made The Devil Wears Prada's boss look like an angel. True fact. Yes, indeed. Not fun. OTOH, a tour with Luc would be very different. :] Enjoy your day and the labs!!!

Marye - Luc is fun, surprising and delightful. That is all. LOL!!!

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Loved your review Sophie!! And you definitely peeked my interest in this book... it's been added to my list... my very LOOOOONG list! ;)

Sophie Riggsby Michele - I think we share the same list and lack of time!!!

message 11: by Ayesha (new) - added it

Ayesha Sophie - You can't leave your family for Archer, OBVIOUSLY..... Cause I'm Gonna Do It! Ha!

Sophie Riggsby Ayesha - LOL. I won't point out the obvious...*whispers*...my name?!?! Teehee. Just having fun!!

message 13: by Ayesha (new) - added it

Ayesha Psssh, names are technicalities! I will persevere! :)

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) LOL... so if you guys are fighting over Luc and this Archer character... does that leave Prince Ash all for me??!! ;)

Sophie Riggsby Ayesha - LOL.

Michele - NevAH!!!! *draws sword like she knows what she's doing*

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Ha-ha-ha-ha... well, since we're both married... I propose we just share Ash! lol!!!

Sophie Riggsby Michele, exactly. My hubs is used to my fictional crushes!!! It started with Edward. :)

Sophie Riggsby Now go on and read Archer, will ya??

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Ok... what book is Archer in????

message 21: by Ayesha (new) - added it

Ayesha All y'all married = = I get Luc, Archer, and Ash! *AyeshaGreedy* teehee.

Michele - Archer Cross is the hexy, sexy male lead in the book I was mentioning earlier, "Hex Hall" by Rachel Hawkins. :) The sequel, "Demonglass" comes out March 1, 2011. Enjoy! xoxoxo

Sophie Riggsby Ayesha - *evil grin* That's a lot of boys there!!! Yes, married. But a hubs who just rolls his eyes and makes comments like,"What does this one do? Fights demons? Is a vegetarian vampire who only eats Bambi's mom?" Yeah, nice eh? He went camping with our son and the Boy Scouts, snapped a pic of a deer and emailed it to me with a note: "Your Edward is not camping this weekend." :]

message 23: by Ayesha (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:08AM) (new) - added it

Ayesha BAHAHAHA! Okayyy, fine, you can have Luc and Ash. Will, too, if you want him; haven't -quite- made up my mind about Mr. Herondale ('cept, obvi, he's sexilicious! ha.) But I get Jace and Archer! Maybe Jason from Chloe Neill's Dark Elite books, the first of which is "Firespell." The sequel, "Hexbound" comes out the first week in January. Totally different from her Chicagoland Vamps series, I like DE better :)

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) You two are too funny... so who do I get????

I've got a new fictional crush on a character. I just finished Firelight by Sophie Jordan and I'm REALLY crushin' on Will now (yes, another Will).

Thanks for the new book/crush recommendation... I will check it out! ;)

Sophie Riggsby Firelight is next on my list! We will be chatting with the author, Sophie Jordan, later this month. ;)

Ayesha -- Jace, Archer and possibly Will??? LOL. I'd love to see Will and Jace having a chat. G-g-grandpa and grandson. Both broken boys and snarky. History. Genetics. I find it fascinating.

message 26: by Ayesha (last edited Sep 16, 2010 12:31PM) (new) - added it

Ayesha Michele - Firelight's my next, too! I can't wait - I've read a few of Sophie Jordan's historical romances, and can't wait to see what she does with the very diffrent Firelight. I haven't decided if I wanna buy it or not - it's comin' in from the library soon, I hope. :) Ohh, ohh! You know who's an amazing crush? Nash, from the "Soul Screamer" series by Rachel Vincent! I'm a lil' disappointed in him right now, cause he was totally stupid in the last book, but I do so hope-hope-hope he gets to redeem himself in the next installment!

Sophie - You get Will, hah, and I'll have Jace and Archer :) I kinda really do want Jason from the Dark Elite books, now that I think about it - gonna have to re-read "Firespell", that whole story is soooo good! Ha.

Sophie Riggsby So generous, Ayesha!! LOL!! I get the hot mess that is Will -- awesome!!

message 28: by Ayesha (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:56AM) (new) - added it

Ayesha I am a very giving person, Sophie, and don't you forget it! HA! I sent you a couple recomendations on here :)

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Sneaking in to snatch Ash!! *evil grin* Uh-oh... just realized that this is no longer so much about the review of this book!!! lol!!

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) I hope you both enjoy Firelight! I loved it!

message 31: by Ayesha (last edited Sep 16, 2010 09:47AM) (new) - added it

Ayesha Hahahaha I realized that a bit ago, Michele, and when I was peekin' around on your page, I saw the whole "Fictional Crushes" page thingie that you'd posted on.... Had to put my babies in! :))

Also, about Firelight - I was reading the quotes they sometimes have on the book's page, and it seems like the entire story is written in present tense? "He says", "I say" type thing. Is that not as annoying as it seems like it would be? xoxoxo

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Nah... that didn't annoy me. I will admit that, at first, Jacinda's character seemed a bit immature (maybe selfish??) but there is a lot of inner dialogue... which I found to be an asset b/c we got to really know her... and I ended up liking and respecting her as the story unfolded.

message 33: by Ayesha (new) - added it

Ayesha I might buy it. Mightmightmight. We'll see how long it takes the library lol.

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) If you can wait... wait for the library copy... if you like it... buy it... b/c you may need to reread it anyway by the time book 2 comes out. ;)

message 35: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Stellar review, Sophie. This really is one of your best.

It was lovely to meet you tonight! I am so happy to have meet the queen of the HBWS club. :)

Sophie Riggsby Sandy - You are entirely too adorable. And it was super fun to meet you. I am laughing at my (apparently, well deserved) title. I hope to come back to the Bay Area this summer and perhaps we can meet up for some coffee/tea/book discussions??

message 37: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan Read "Not An Angel" By: Dawn Chartier HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Sophie Riggsby Thanks for the rec, Morgan, I will look into it. :)

message 39: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda I think that you guys are forgetting Daniel! From Lauren Kate's Fallen series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sophie Riggsby Amanda - Daniel was pretty cool but still no Luc. :)

message 41: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda I guess you are right!

Sophie Riggsby ;)

message 43: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda hey do you have any FANTASTIC books to read? I have read The Mortal Instruments and ALOT of other books, but I'm kinda in a rut! Any help?

Sophie Riggsby What are you in the mood for?? Fantastic reads: Timeslip, science-y romance = Myra McEntire's HOURGLASS. Brilliantly written, fish-out-of-water; contemp romance = Stephanie Perkins' ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS; paranormal, dark world but w/a to-die-for forbidden romance: Lee Nichols' DECEPTION/BETRAYAL; everything by Ally Carter if you like contemporary stories about heists or spies; Holly Black's gorgeously writen WHITE CAT/RED GLOVE. The latter made me invent the word "Cassel-ishness". And there is a mention of a "Jace" (albeit alternate world Jace) in it.

Phew. Does that help?

message 45: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Thanks SOOOOO much I will look up all of these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sophie Riggsby Cool. Hope you enjoy them. :)

message 47: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Have you read the book Divergent by Veronica Roth? If so then wasn't it great!!!! If not then READ IT IT IS FLIPPING AMMMMMMMMMAZZZZINNNG! :D

Sophie Riggsby It's on my TBR!

message 49: by Amanda (new) - added it