Christina Knotts's Reviews > Preparing To Be a Help Meet

Preparing To Be a Help Meet by Debi Pearl

Jun 02, 2010

Read from June 02 to July 10, 2010

This book was the most challenging on the subject I have yet to read. While we are to look totally to the Word of God, Mrs. Pearl's insight and wisdom echoes much of the Biblical statutes that I love so dear.

My favorite chapter would probably have to be "The Italian Prince." I was greatly encouraged and challenged to get up and actually DO something with my life - and not just to prove that I was a grown woman and that I could live independently, but to work with my hands the things of the LORD. In doing so, God would bless my endeavors to "delight in Him" with a husband (but only in His timing).

In the last two years, I have been confused as to where my position as an unmarried woman living under her parents' roof actually lies. Do I have the "right" to go out and work for the Lord, if I feel that He is calling me to do that? Or, is it absolutely wrong of me to leave Mother to handle all the children all day? This book clearly pointed me to fall continually at His feet - "just to know thus saith the Lord."

I began volunteering at our local pregnancy center with my sister. Has it been fulfilling? More than I would ever have imagined! Even though I have only compiled bags, hung curtain rods, and taken out the trash, I feel that I have blessed someone - if not all - in the Name of my precious Guide.

As I have spent some months in India as a missionary, I have felt so very burdened to return again. But I am continually seeking the Lord as to what His will for me is. I will go where He will lead me; I will say what He impresses upon me to say.

Aside from this subject, the book covers many other issues - some considered 'intimate.' I believe that in such a society that is seeking none other than its own pleasures, girls need to be preparing for marriage rather than swooning at every guy she meets. My favorite story of warning was in the chapter "Pie in the Sky," about the girl that became engaged to a godly young man but she was cultivating an intimate relationship with some other guy in Florida through email. Keeping it all secret, she became a single mother because the guy in Florida finally told her that he was married with two kids of his own.

Girls of all ages, shapes and sizes need to understand that Satan is out there to trap us! Our emotions and our feelings - delicate though they be, and a beautiful gift from God - are ready to slip on Satan's banana peels each time a guy walks by.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preparing To Be a Help Meet.