Bethany's Reviews > It's Not Summer Without You

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han

F_50x66
Jun 02, 10

bookshelves: summery, absolute-faves, contemporary, romance, young-adult
Read in June, 2010

I just loved this book. I loved it as much as the first in the series, and I loved that one "a lot".

It's summer again, and Belly's missing the beach house in Cousins, where she's spent every summer of her life with her mother, her mother's best friend Susannah, and Susannah's two boys, Conrad and Jeremiah. But Susannah's dead now, and Belly's relationship with Conrad, whatever it was, is over. Belly's heartbroken over both losses, and she's dragging her feet through her first summer at home. When Jeremiah calls, tells Belly that Conrad's gone missing from college (where he's taking summer classes), she's shoved into her shoes and pushed back into life and back to Cousins.

Love triangle-y deliciousness, but I love all of the characters so much, I'm not really rooting for anyone. And I really have no idea how it's going to end. These books are so well-done, so vibrant and real-seeming, that I wouldn't be surprised to see Belly buck the YA love triangle system and wind up with some guy she meets in college--you know, like most people do.

Nothing much happens, honestly. There's not a lot of plot, but I didn't mind at all. I love the feel of these books, and the characters, which I've already mentioned, but--oh, parents! The moms, especially, are fantastic in these books, which is unheard of in teen books. Anyway, woobie hearts.

I loved reading this book so much that, when I was finished, I snapped at Mark and was generally crabby, because I didn't want it to be over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not Summer Without You.