jeremiah's Reviews > Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola

3692015
Mar 03, 14

Read from May 12 to 18, 2011

On free comic book day this year, Dark Horse had an issue of a series by Mike Mignola: Baltimore. I liked it. The alternate history I could gather from the (very short) story seemed interesting, so I decided to pick this up.

This is everything I love about Mignola's storytelling: taking fairy tales and legends and twisting them till they're oh so much darker. At the same time, Mignola treats these fairy tales as if they truly exist here in the real world and are entirely plausible. These are the things you thought you saw out of the corner of your eye, but didn't.

What if the curtain obscuring your view of this "other world" was just too thick? If given the chance, would you pull the curtain back knowing what you might see, what might happen?

That the story is complemented by Mignola's art is just icing. With usually only a few small panels per page it doesn't replace the writing at all, only adds to the overall feel of the story.

I was a little wary of this book at first as it had pretty mediocre reviews. I guess I'm an outlier as I really liked it and would highly suggest it to anyone looking for some good dark fairy tale style horror. Like I said though, I love this kind of stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire.