Liz's Reviews > Dracula's Guest and Other Victorian Vampire Stories

Dracula's Guest and Other Victorian Vampire Stories by Michael Sims

Nov 08, 2014

bookshelves: 2010-book-list
Read from June 08 to August 31, 2010

I received this book/anthology through first reads.
I thought this was a very interesting look at the history of vampires, told in both real & fictitious accounts throughout history. This book was divided into three sections - The Root: pre-Victorian, The Tree: Victorian, & The Fruit: post-Victorian. I liked seeing how eye-witness accounts of "vampires" morphed into the vampire stories that have become so popular again today. Michael Sims did a great job with his brief histories & explanations of the stories & people in their different time periods. The stories were very spooky & reminded me of how scary vampires are, especially with the way they have been toned down so much in recent literature & love stories. This book takes you back to the roots of this horror & makes for an eerie read. Well done!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula's Guest and Other Victorian Vampire Stories.

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Just won off of First Reads!

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Oh cool! I entered this one. It's funny you won this one and I won the Plantation novel, haha :-) Let me know what you think of this. I really enjoyed the original Dracula book.

message 3: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz I've just started the introduction, & I'm already intrigued.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Cool! I hope it continues to be good--I'll be interested to hear how it goes :-)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ooh, I almost grabbed this at the library the other day. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!