Michael's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

Jun 03, 10

Read in May, 2010

Larsson found his stride with this, the last number of the Millenium Trilogy. When I reached the middle of the book, I couldn't put it down and finished it at 3:00 a.m. It is sad that Larsson died before seeing any of the trilogy in print and sad too that we will have no more novels from him. Nevertheless, the Millenium Trilogy stands as a fine memorial. Lisbeth Salander, his unique creation, is less an active agent in the final novel and more of a fulcrum on which the action turns, driven by the other well-drawn characters, both friends and enemies. Larsson apparently intended the trilogy to be a feminist statement on the treatment of women, but it is even more a defense of democracy and a tribute to the power of the press in protecting freedom. That becomes especially clear in the final novel. My staying up until 3:00 in the morning to finish it shows that it is also a compelling story well told. Every trilogy should save the best for last and leave readers wanting more. Three cheers for Larsson and a job well done!
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.