Bernadette Jansen op de Haar's Reviews > The King of Tuzla

The King of Tuzla by Arnold Jansen op de Haar

Jan 31, 11

Read from June 02 to July 28, 2010

How does it feel when, as an officer caught up in a war, you realise that the army is no longer your cup of tea? When you are a perfectionist who is determined to bring all his men back home but who at the same time longs to write.

How do you deal with the horrific experiences of innocent civilians and the utter hatred that can exist between people?

In King of Tuzla, a novel by Arnold Jansen op de Haar, we follow with Tijmen, a young army captain, who finds himself caught up in the Bosnian conflict, the most recent war in Europe. The consequences of the conflict for soldiers as well as civilians have a profound effect on Tijmen’s personal life.

Interspersed with Tijmen’s story about finding his own identity, we are shown vivid snippets of life in the war zone. For example, civil servant Galib Prolaz, a self proclaimed Yugoslavian citizen who, after the Muslims were driven away, had no alternative but to become a farmer. Or the beautiful Lucia Mezga who, behind the bar of ‘Holland House’, dreams that officers are queuing up to marry her.

Tijmen, ever the professional soldier, makes his war a success and all his men get back home safely. Twice he has to build a base from scratch, first in Tuzla and then in “Sapna Thumb”. But at least there, on the first base, he is King of Tuzla.

Everyone who wants to know more about the war in Bosnia, Europe’s most recent war, should read this book.

Everyone who wants to become a writer will be intrigued.

That leaves the people who are looking for a good read, you have found it.

King of Tuzla by Arnold Jansen op de Haar, published by Holland Park Press.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Tuzla.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I wonder where I could find a preview of this book in order to add it to the GR system. thanks.

Bernadette Jansen op de Haar Laura, I can send you a copy of the book, just contact me at bernadette@hollandparkpress.co.uk

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Bernadette wrote: "Laura, I can send you a copy of the book, just contact me at

It's not fair to get it in this way Bernadette.