Kate Lansky's Reviews > Shift

Shift by Rachel Vincent

Dec 10, 10

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read on June 02, 2010

At this point in the series, I'm really wishing that the overarching plot would get a move on. I feel like Rachel is a little over-involved with the world she's created and the magical beasties in them. I was ok with the Bruin a few books back, but for some reason the shifters introduced here didn't quite work for me. While they were interesting, I found myself wondering "so what?"

I was also becoming more than a little frustrated with (a)Faythe's inability to deal with her own actions, (b) everyone being completely 100% willing to lay blame for events on someone without even the faintest shred of proof - not even circumstantial evidence, and (c) that all these only barely related events were so packed together on the timeline. It all started feeling like a bit much, and my desire to keep reading the series began to drop off. The politics were also a bit grating - maybe because Rachel goes out of her way to make sure you know Malone is a Very Bad Guy (tm), there just wasn't as much tension as there could have been - just frustration that not everyone realized Malone was a Very Bad Guy (tm) (which also made me less sympathetic, since if they couldn't pick up on that, they must not be terribly smart.) In fact, even when Rachel made attempts to direct us away from something or another, I never believed her. Somehow Rachel manages to broadcast her intentions and her next step before she even takes it... and as such, nothing ever really came as a surprise to me.

By the time I'd finished the book, not much had really changed. The war promised in the previous book hadn't yet started, and nothing really happened with the big reveal that was promised from the previous book (I can't get more specific without marking this as spoilerific).

So at this point, my urge to read the next book only exists because, well - I feel like I put a book down part-way through right now. The story isn't done, and I'd really love for Rachel to quit playing around and get to it. I feel the meat on the bones of this thing, but it just hasn't been delivered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.