Joyzi's Reviews > Stargazer

Stargazer by Claudia Gray

Oct 25, 10

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, ya-books, e-book, disappointing-books, reviewed, book-series, vampires, author-american, paranormal-romance
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
Recommended for: Peeps who don't mind rip-offs
Read from October 15 to 17, 2010

Okay the book is great and sort of addicting and I could not put it down blah blah blah.

But why three stars?

I've given it a not so high rating because the book is not so original and rip-offs of New Moon, Vampire Knight, Harry Potter, House of Night, Vampire Academy, Uglies, City of Bones, Graceling, Hunger Games, and Dear John (why is Dear John here? o_O)

My explanation (sort of):
1. So first off, Bianca and Lucas were sort of apart from the first chapters and then they exchange these letters wherein it was really Dear Johnish.

2. And then there's whole pretend boyfriend-girlfriend thing with Bianca and Balthazar (okay heard of Hunger Games?). And Balty reminds me of Peeta (that makes me love him more than Lucas). He's sort of the sweet, selfless, kind guy. So I'm on BiancaxBalthazar ship right now, yeah I know she would end up with Lucas anyway but I don't really care, I love Balthy more.

3. Remember in New Moon wherein how Romeo and Juliet was use, and then so Edward (vampire) was Romeo and Bella (human) was Juliet and then Jacob (the best friend) was Paris. So it was pretty much the same here, the author copy paste the whole thingy so: Lucas (vampire hunter) = Romeo, Bianca (vampire) = Juliet and Balthazar (vampire friend) = Paris.

4. Ms. Bethany reminds me of Neferet from House of Night.

5. Vampires can have a glimpse of emotions and feelings of someone when they drink of their blood. (I’ve already seen that on Vampire Knight).

-----‘Kay Im too lazy to add other things up but I just can’t help the feeling that I’ve read something like that before and with that my always next step is to compare. Like for example the ending of this book SPOILER ALERT was a battle between vampire and vampire hunters in where I can’t help but compare to battle of Hogwarts (Harry Potter) or the battle between Strigois and DhampirxMorois (Vampire Academy) wherein I find that the Stargazer pales in comparison. The battle was ended abruptly and it was not fully described (everything was sort of a mess and we don’t know what happen to others). No fighting on Bianca’s part so it was just telling a bunch of things happening around here (which was really lame). So yeah, that’s pretty much it (too lazy to elaborate).

PS: Cool I used “sort of” 5x. Teehee ^____^

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stargazer.

10/15/2010 page 1
0.0% "*actually excited to read this one* I miss my Lucas."
10/16/2010 page 50
15.0% "Oh the Cheesiness! (I really liked it so far, but the dialogues *puh-lease* too cheesy..."
10/17/2010 page 247
75.0% "I changed my mind I heart Balty more. BiancaXBalthazar shipper ^^"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nenette (new)

Nenette Nice review :) Had to put in a comment as the "like" link doesn't seem to be working in my browser right now.

Sarah I agree on a lot of parts of your review. If you don't like this book you'll hate the third (Hourglass) they seem get worse not better.

Joyzi Really? I'm still planning to read the next and the last one though.

Helen omg, now that I think of it, you're right... She did steal some ideas... Dang