Aaron Vincent's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Jun 04, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-ya
Read from June 01 to 03, 2010

This is a tough one. As I write this review I am still undecided what rating I will give. I'm hoping that towards the end of this review I can already decide.

I'd give it a perfect rating if I'll just base it on the ingenious storytelling. As I was reading it, there are three stories being told. One is the story of Clay Jensen while listening to the tapes. Second, Hannah Baker's story as she narrates the consecutive events that leads her to suicide. And the last would be your own story.

It made me feel so bad, so guilty. I'm not on the list of people that cause her death but its as if I'm part of it. Certainly not her list but of people I got acquainted with. It made me wonder what have I done or haven't done to people I have interacted with, intentionally or unintentionally. Yeah, you would say that I felt guilty because I knew that I definitely did something wrong. Go ahead, mock me, I know I deserve it but when you're finished, let me know so it'll be my turn to mock you for the jackass actions you have done. The thing is, no one is innocent. Everyone has done something bad, no matter how big or small it is. If there's anyone who will say that they haven't done such a thing, let me tell you this: Go.To.Hell! Oh, you think you deserve heaven cause you are good person doing only good things to people. Well, no, you deserve hell cause if there is a person that is the most deserving to go to hell it would be the liars and in denials.

I hated Hannah Baker. Yes, Hannah Baker, if you are reading this, wherever you are, I hate you and fuck you. At first I felt sympathy for you, being a girl that ended her life because of the people around you. But as I hear(or read) your tapes stating your reasons, I am learning to hate you. I understand that these people have done something wrong to you but they are the reason and not the one to blame why you committed suicide. No one is to blame Hannah but yourself. You over analyze things, you're too sensitive and if your Science teacher haven't told you yet, let me tell you that the world revolves around the sun, not around you.

You feel bad cause there are rumors going around that is against you. You should not feel bad cause at least there are people spending their time thinking about you. To them, you are somebody and not a nobody. Bad reputation is still a reputation and be glad of that cause at least you are not invisible.

And Gahd, Hannah. You are not contented on ending your life. You created tapes that will be passed around the people who are the "reasons" of your suicide. Tapes that will certainly make them feel miserable and can ruin their whole lives. Yes, you deserve to get back on with them for their "cruelty" to you but you don't have to do that. You're not defenseless on the times they've been hard on you, you can stand up for yourself but what you have to them done is worse. You've attacked them knowing that they would be defenseless, cause who in this world can stand up against a dead girl?! You didn't left them any choice but to suck all the blame. You are worse than the guy who ruined a girl's(not yours) life cause you didn't ruin just one, you ruined 13 lives(no. I didn't get it wrong. It is still 13 cause you also ruined the life of the person who has the second set of tapes.). And you know what's the most unbelievable thing you did, you treated everything, the passing around of tapes and journey according to your map, like it was a game. How cruel can that be!

There, I already released my thoughts. I feel much lighter now. If there is something good this book has brought me, it is how it reminds me and made me think of how huge impact on a persons life I can make. That the tiniest action I will do can affect others big time. It magnified the changes , bad or good, to a person's life that I can contribute.(So friends, my parents and my siblings, if you notice a drastic change on my behavior towards how I treat you, be thankful to Jay Asher. He's the man!)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan I've been lookin for it's paperback since january. Where did you found it? Lots of good reviews but it might also be depressing. Is it good?

Aaron Vincent Its good so far. Unique plot and writing style and very insightful. I am really enjoying it. I don't know about the depressing part but I guess it will be depressing onwards cause its a suicide book.

message 3: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan Yup, it's a suicide book. That got me interested on it on the first place. I hope to see this book on my next trip to a bookstore.

message 4: by Ace (new)

Ace It is available in FB The Fort ;)

Aaron Vincent Ah. Emo much, Ariel?? hahahaha., If you want a suicide book, you can try Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor or Diary, as well as Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down and what I consider as the ultimate suicide book: Paulo Coelho's Veronika Decides To Die.

message 6: by Ace (new)

Ace You like Veronika Decides To Die, Aaron? I didn't finish that book. I find it too dry

Aaron Vincent Actually, its the only Paulo Coelho novel that I liked. Its not an action novel that I usually read but its a very reflective read. It forces your optimism using the voice of pessimism. And the twist at the end of the book made me want to assassinate Coelho.

message 8: by Ace (new)

Ace yeah. I know the ending, my officemate spoiled it for me, that is one of the reasons why i did not finish the book

message 9: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan Assassinate Coelho? Count me in. hahahaha. I don't know but I kinda like the subject of suicide. I remember this song that I like by Hit The Lights. "Her Eyes Say Yes, But The Restraining Order Says No", one of my fave song. hahahaha

message 10: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan @Ace: to far from where I reside, but is it on Paperback? maybe I could ask FB MOA to picked it up for me then I'll purchase it to them. Thanks.

message 11: by Ace (new)

Ace @Ariel: yes it is in Paperback. If you love suicides then you should also read The Bell jar.

Aaron Vincent I never heard that song. The only Hit The Light song I know are Stay Out and Drop the Girl. Lemme youtube that song.

message 13: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan I like both the song, it's a shame that they've change the lead vocalist. Well that's a band life for ya. hahahaha

Aaron Vincent Hahahaha., Well., the word "disbanded" isn't invented for nothing.,

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Umm... I disliked this book. Mainly because I did not care for the girl who killed herself and her "reasons" did not seem credible to me.

Aaron Vincent Actually, I'm really really likin' it. Yeah, the girl is too self-absorbed but I know a lot of people are like that. Like the whole universe revolves around them, I admit that even I sometimes are like that but not to the point that Ill kill my myself.

message 17: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan Wow, a five. It's that good. I guess I'll read it after HUNGER.

message 18: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Jun 04, 2010 12:11AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Aaron Vincent Its a 5 not because its effin' awesome but because of what I got after reading it. Read the review to understand why, don't worry, there's no spoiler.

message 19: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan I did, It's nice. Don't blame Hannah too much, she might commit suicide again. LOLz.

message 20: by Ace (new)

Ace this is what I like reading reviews from Aaron

Aaron Vincent Geez, thanks.

I don't care if she'll commit suicide over and over again. She's horrible and pathetic.

message 22: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan hahahahahaha

message 23: by jzhunagev (new)

jzhunagev Wow!
Really nice review, Aaron.
This seems to be a pretty interesting book.
I hope I can find one.

Aaron Vincent Thanks man.! :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I'm telling you, this girls is too selfish to commit suicide. Just not going to happen.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Hahaha, all that bashing and still five stars? I thought you'd at least drop a star for Hannah alone.

Aaron Vincent I enjoyed listening to her tapes anyways. I think I owe her that. hahahaha

message 28: by Zainab (new) - added it

Zainab I was really, really looking forward to this book, but after your reviews...haha, I'm not all that sure anymore. Does she really become that annoying?

Aaron Vincent She does!!! I mean it's normal for a teenager to sulk and rant and complain about everything but killing yourself then blaming EVERYONE who did something to you. It's horrible. If I knew someone like that, I would have killed him/her myself. But I suggest you should still read it, it's a good reminder to us of how our action, no matter how small and unintentional, can affect somebody's life in a huge way. :)

message 30: by Zainab (new) - added it

Zainab Faaaair enough, although many teens DO tend to blame everyone else for their depression, or simply for everything they do so I guess it makes sense. Hmm, shall look into it then :D

message 31: by Iyah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iyah I both loved and hated Hannah Baker.

Isamlq holy bleep-bleep on crack... I think she'd kill herself all over again for stuff on this review(?) Seriously, IMO, the whole point was that action and inaction have repercussions (and while negative for Hannah was hopefully/ultimately(?) positive for Clay..)

Query: Didn't she own up to the fact that she was the one to blame and not the recepients of the tapes?

Aaron Vincent She did, but does she really have to do all that? Making tapes for people who 'lead' her to commit suicide? No, I don't think so. That's a very selfish thing to do. She only made them feel guilty for her death for the rest of their lives.

Isamlq Aaron Vincent wrote: "She did, but does she really have to do all that? Making tapes for people who 'lead' her to commit suicide? No, I don't think so. That's a very selfish thing to do. She only made them feel guilty f..."

Hmmm.. I saw your comment on If I Stay, and I kind of get why your review comes across as really strong (peace, positive yan!)I'd really like to see what you think of IF I STAY too... I'm on a depressing-book-that-makes-you-think kick right now.. :)

Aaron Vincent You made me read what I said about If I Stay! Sakto lang cause I bought a discounted copy of If I Stay last weekend. Might read it soon. If you're into that kind of books right now, try these: Before I Die, Before I Fall, The Sky Is Everywhere, Chasing Brooklyn. I haven't read these yet but many bloggers claims that they're good depressing books.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I still stand by my earlier comment that Hannah is too selfish to kill herself. Sorry!

message 37: by Isamlq (last edited Feb 09, 2011 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isamlq Aaron Vincent wrote: "You made me read what I said about If I Stay! Sakto lang cause I bought a discounted copy of If I Stay last weekend. Might read it soon. If you're into that kind of books right now, try these: [boo..."

Aaron, The only one that I don't have on that list is Chasing Brooklyn... and they're all lined up... by next week(?) I'll be done siguro **fingers crossed**

Heidi, lol! u surprised me... :)

message 38: by Zainab (new) - added it

Zainab 'Good depressing books' hahahaha!
that is all.

Jhecca I hate Hannah Baker too. But I rated it 4 stars as well because of what it made me realized after reading it.

message 40: by Bec (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bec i totally agree! I liked Hannah's personality, but her ultimate decision was ridiculous. She had so much going for her, and she was even going to graduate soon! ugh.. I guess I just have no tolerance for suicides.

Poopers i can't understand how people read this book and feel sorry for hannah. i know she's just a fictional character, but she is such a selfish, immature, brat. Great review!

Brittany "Fuck you, Hannah!"

That should've just been your whole summary, haha. I felt a little less hatred towards her, but I still agree with everything you said. Hannah was a weak, miserable person, but then again, not everyone is a badass like we are ;)

Whitney Great review. I had no sympathy for Hannah.

Sophee This is one of the best reviews so far. Thank goodness I'm not the only who thinks Hannah is pathetic and selfish.