Sera's Reviews > The Shipping News

did not like it
bookshelves: hated-it, literary-fiction, 1001-books
Read in August, 1999

Snore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shipping News.

02/19/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Many of my friends have rated this highly but you and I seem to share similar taste in so many books that I think I'll skip it.

Karen Sera...I couldn't agree with you more! It seems like everyone I talk to loves this book but I was bored. After reading another of her books I came to conclusion that I really don't like her style. But when they're made into movies, I like them. Weird.

message 5: by Sera (new) - rated it 1 star

Sera Sarah, I hated this book so much that I never even want to see the movie, but you may feel differently, even though we do share the same tastes in books. Great minds, darling, great minds...

Karen, good for you for giving Proulx another try. With so many other things that I want to read, and so little time, I'll probably not give her another shot.

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I really should just add all of your five and four star rated books, my dear, because if you like them, chances are I will too.

message 3: by Sera (new) - rated it 1 star

Sera Agreed, Sarah - what a great idea! I'll have to peruse your lists, as well. So much for not buying more books - ha ha.

message 2: by Alison (last edited Jul 16, 2008 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Alison I think I gave this book one star...possibly two if I was feeling generous. I couldn't get past the dialect. Reading became a chore for me. I'm guessing it was hard as nails to write it that way (hence the Pulitzer)...but it was harder for me to read it. Do I get a prize for finishing it?

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Candice Pitman agreed! this is the only book I would burn