ladywallingford's Reviews > Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor by Stephanie Barron

Jun 08, 10

bookshelves: mystery, historical-fiction
Read from June 01 to 08, 2010

Jane Austen, writer by day, detective at night. The premise seemed interesting enough and I must admit, I think the author pulled it off admirably with just a few minor issues. The story unfolds through Jane's journal. Her voice very much reminds me of the real Austen's novels, no small feat to accomplish. The geek girl inside of me loved seeing references to said novels, no matter how obvious they were.

Nevertheless, I did give it a lower rating for two issues that I had with it. First issue: The novel moved a bit too slowly for me. By the end, I honestly didn't know if Jane had solved all until...well, in case you read, I won't ruin the ending but nevertheless, I honestly wondered about those "little grey cells."

Second issue: The denouement seemed a bit Scooby Doo-ish to me, which ruined it a bit. However, since this is the first novel and in my experience, the first novel is not always the best, I do plan on reading the rest of the series assuming I can find them at the library.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor.

06/02/2010 page 60