Suzanne's Reviews > Tips on Having a Gay (Ex) Boyfriend

Tips on Having a Gay (Ex) Boyfriend by Carrie Jones

Dec 18, 07

bookshelves: youngadult-fiction, did-not-finish
Read in December, 2007

This is why I cannot finish this book:

Page 24: [Em's] always taking pictures ever since her dad died.

Page 40: Em started taking pictures a couple years ago when her father died.

Is the reader that stupid that he or she needs to be reminded why Em takes a lot of pictures? This [lack of editor presence] annoys me. I may have been able to overlook it and continue reading if I found the protagonist a teeny bit sympathetic. Instead, I kept thinking "Get over it! You're 17! You're going to date dozens of guys!" But then if I was 17 maybe I would feel differently.

Two other things (wow, lots of rants for only reading 40 pages):
1) Why does everyone have a dead dad?
2) I don't believe that teenages really refer to sex as making love. I'm 30 and I don't refer to sex as making love. Did you ever hear a 17 year old say "And then after our bubble bath, we made love. We could see each other's souls" (paraphrasing, but you get the gist)?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tips on Having a Gay (Ex) Boyfriend.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin HA HA HA - i'm not sure i want to meet the teenager that utters that phrase, ps as 27 married woman i don't even use it, please i offer the following editorial suggestion: "he got me some vickie's bubble bath and then we did it"

Kasia Oh, gack. You make this book sound so awful that I almost want to read it now. "Making love" just sounds creepy, especially from a teenager. Ew.

message 3: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne Yeah, I was determined to grit my teeth and plow through it because it has gotten some really great reviews. I got 40 pages in. No bueno.

Derrith I noticed the repeated information about Em's dadtoo, but the first time, she mentions it in a second-hand, casual way, while second time, she goes into detail. That made me feel a bit better about it. The making love thing killed me too. I hate that prhrase, along with most romantic terms of endearment ("Honey, lover, let's make love" would be a sure-fire way to make me cry HEADACHE!)
BUT....... I like the author's style, and I do find Belle likeable. I also think that this would be a monumental, life-altering experience for a 17 year old girl, one that would make her question her femininity, judgment, relationships, etc... and not so easily gotten over. Trust me on this!
I am halfway through and I am enjoying it. Tom is endearing,even though I think I can predict that story line already... I would suggest trying it again. :-)

Claire Ashleigh i'm a teen, to say "make love" is confirming that you are in love with the idea of love- like Shakespeare's Romeo- and need to be confirmed into a psychiatric ward.

Laura deLuna did anyone else notice all the weird things that inanimate objects do in the jones lady books? in the third sentence of the novel a porch light "wishes us well" how does a porch light wish anything? its a porch light for crying out loud? god awful writing. I cant believe they let this book be published.

Emma I am 17 and I can testify that I've never heard anyone my age call sex "making love." I've heard many other terms for it though. My personal favorite is "do the do." XD