Ian Birlem's Reviews > The Pirate Hunter: The True Story of Captain Kidd

The Pirate Hunter by Richard Zacks

Dec 26, 07

Recommended for: Everyone!
Read in December, 2007

I was as captivated as a small boy might be reading nursery tales about pirates! It's so interesting and just captivating. This is one of the best pieces of history writing I've ever read. The book is well researched and written. It reads like a great fiction book and is loaded with so many details you can picture what life was like in the late 1600's on the ocean, in the colonies and the US. The tales show why young men would rebel against their naval commanders and risk everything to live a wild life on the high seas. Just the descriptions of New York as a uncontrolled colony of a few houses are enthralling. But the stories are so outrageous and engrossing you'd think they were made up! With the wild outfits and baudy behavior it's no wonder pirates have captured the imagination for so long. And like Deadwood on HBO, the book offers a realistic portrayal of the corruption and nuances of an era that's more complicated than presented when you're a kid. I'd pick the short life of a pirate over forced service in the Royal Navy (and the years without pay and abuse by aristocratic officers)any time!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pirate Hunter.