Travis's Reviews > The Mighty Crusaders: Origin of a Super-Team

The Mighty Crusaders by Various

M 50x66
Aug 04, 10

bookshelves: comic-books

Silly and odd, but not in a good way.
As the marvel universe was taking off in the 60's, Archie comics dusted off their old super heroes with idea of cashing in and instead gave us this bunch of stories.
Flat characterization, weird adventures that make silver age Superman stories look like the discovery channel and attempts at humor and hip slang that are painful to read.

I love old silver age comics and am able to suspend my disbelief because I understand how those worlds work and just go with it.
The writers on these stories can't even keep track of their own rules and so heroes gain new powers for a single story with no explaination and it never happens again.
Create an internal logic and stick with it for god's sake! If the writer can't bother to keep track of this stuff and care, why should we.

Shame, as I like the Crusaders, but almost no one has had any success with them. Even though, I was willing to cut them some slack, as giving the Black Hood a flying robot horse was pretty cool.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mighty Crusaders.

message 1: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell I remember when Archie comics did about the same thing with Sonic the Hedgehog the Saturday morning cartoon and they made it much darker than it was in the show.

Travis They are great characters and every couple years somebody tries to bring them back, but it never lasts.
I think part of the problem is 'Archie comics' is not geared towards superheroes, so farms the Crusaders out to other companies.

message 3: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Yeah! I think Archie Comics should just stick with the Archie Comic strips.

Travis Or at least be smart enough to hire writers who can do the Crusaders right. They are one of the few comic companies with the money and distribution to make it work.

while most comic companies are struggling, Archie is still growing strong and you can find their stuff everywhere.

message 5: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Yeah, I keep seeing Archie Comics in every store I go, but I haven't seen any other comic book series other than Archie's being put out. It's kind of sad because there are so many great comic book series out there and only Archie Comics is getting the recognition.

Travis Those little spinner racks of comics at the grocery store only ever have a couple marvel comics, a couple DC and then a bunch of Archie comics.
The Archie people are geniuses about distribution. Only Disney comes close at being that good at it.

message 7: by Ronyell (last edited Aug 08, 2010 12:21AM) (new)

Ronyell Yeah, Disney is really good at distributing their merchandise. Has Disney bought out Marvel yet?