Suzy 's Reviews > The Rope Walk

The Rope Walk by Carrie Brown

Jun 07, 10

Read from June 01 to 07, 2010

Carrie Brown is such a fabulous writer. Every sentence is so perfected. And the story as a whole is--as I try to think of what to say here, I am actually forming my hands into the shape of a snow globe--as if I were carefully holding a beautiful, fragile thing. That is what Carrie Brown's story is. 10-yr. old Alice's inner life is so real and recognizable. It is to Brown's credit that she can remember (for she must) and recapture that in a novel. Alice's summer friend, Theo, is a wonderful character too. I highly recommend this book to my women friends--don't know how a male would find it. It'd be interesting to find out. The book reminded me, all along, of To Kill a Mockingbird, both in the feel of the telling and similarities in the story: a widowed father, race prejudice, a small town, a sensitive tomboy with a forlorn boy as a bosom buddy....and then, to my surprise, Brown has Alice reading To Kill a Mockingbird in one of the last chapters! So, maybe the connection was in her mind too?
The only thing I thought was weird was the way Alice spent her time: Even though it took place in the present, with references to terrorists, war in Iraq, etc., she spent her free time only in old fashioned ways, which seemed unrealistic. One time she is facing having to go to the university with her dad and laments that she will only be able to read or color there. Um...get on the computer? These sorts of misses sort of jolted me now and then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rope Walk.

06/01/2010 page 50
14.79% "Good writer. Slow starting, but beautifully written."