Joyce Lagow's Reviews > In the Shadow of Gotham

2220862
Jun 01, 10

bookshelves: kindle-edition, police-procedural
Read in June, 2010

Winner of the 2010 Edgar Award for Debut mystery novel, In The Shadow of Gotham is set in the New York City of 1905. It pairs up a young detective with a criminologist--therefore setting up inevitable comparisons with Caleb Carr's series set in the same time frame and with somewhat the same setup. But the comparison begins and ends there, because Pintoff's novel comes nowhere near Carr's series in either writing quality, evocation of setting or, in particular, characterization. The last is most important because throughout the book, I never really cared about the characters--they were too one dimensional and poorly delineated to evoke much interest.

The plot was decent, although the murderer was more or less predictable even for me, and I am not one to worry about who dunnit--I much prefer just following the action.

This book does not have that much going for it, although it can be read with interest for some details about 1905 New York City and some idea of the suffragette movement of that time.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Shadow of Gotham.