Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > ArchEnemy

ArchEnemy by Frank Beddor

Jun 01, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, ya-fiction, summer-2010
Read from June 02 to 05, 2010 — I own a copy

A disappointing lack of action scenes, mixed with a very slow beginning and a rushed ending make it the definite weak link of the trilogy.

I understand that there were quite a couple of storylines to wrap and characters to develop and get over their stupid emo ways (I'm looking at you, Molly), but it just took too long to get fun again. Not until the final battle (which still pales in comparison to book one's amazing finale) does it pick up. And then there's about 30 pages left and bam, happy ending, all enemies easily defeated, buh bye.

Too much of a nice and tidy bow wrapped ending for me. I hate saying it, but it needed more loss to make it have sustenance. Like in City of Glass when SPOILER little Max is killed by Sebastian. It's terribly sad and you get really pissed off at Sebastian. This book needed that.

Someone important needed to die, someone integral to the plot to really have a sense of danger. Someone to make me really hate Redd or Arch, because, to be honest, I kinda liked them. Redd was an evil murderous hag, but she had a certain wit and humor to everything she did, and everyone she killed or maimed. Yeah, she slaughtered Alyss' mom and dad on her seventh birthday, but they were barely in the story for me to care enough (and plus, Alyss can pull her imaginative powers and talk to dear ol' mum and dad in a mirror anytime. Basically nullifies any loss she faces, if you ask me.)

And Arch.. well he was just kinda annoying. I never outright hated him. He was a misogynistic dictator with a huge ego, but, hey he had like 39 wives so that was bound to happen.

It's still a good book, and if you have read the first two, read this. You really do need to know what happens. Despite still being the same fun world and great characters, compared to the first two, it just fell a bit shorter for me. Not enough battles, not enough fear for loss, and, ironically, not nearly enough imagination.

(It'd be really a 3.5, but I'm being nice today)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ArchEnemy.

06/02/2010 page 9