Lynn's Reviews > Five Cities that Ruled the World: How Jerusalem, Athens, Rome, London, and New York Shaped Global History

Five Cities that Ruled the World by Douglas Wilson

Jun 09, 2010

bookshelves: history-books
Read from June 01 to 09, 2010

I like it very much and find it very interesting. Fear the facts will go right away from me after I'm finished reading it but it is more than facts. This is a good book for discussion so people can assimilate the information more thoroughly. I finished this book and absolutely loved it. I especially loved the sections on London and New York. The book adds a lot of information that many books don't include. How the loss of the American colonies affected the development of London and Britain, and how the influx of Scots and Scots-Irish affected the revolution in the American colonies. At the same time, New York always was an anomaly in settling America because particular large groups of people did not settle here when they wanted to separate themselves from others. The Puritains, etc. went somewhere else. This makes NY more of a cosmopolitan city than others. I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Cities that Ruled the World.

06/07/2010 page 105
41.02% "I'm on Rome. The Third city. It says that Rome never produced anything but took wealth from its provinces. Interesting."