Shellie (Layers of Thought)'s Reviews > The Bat Scientists

The Bat Scientists by Mary Kay Carson

1987170
Sep 13, 10

bookshelves: genre-non-fiction, element-environmental-theme, genre-education-teaching, genre-science-history-travel, age-children-tweens, blog-reviews, read-in-2010, fav-non-fiction
Recommended to Shellie (Layers of Thought) by: Net Galley
Recommended for: bat lovers and children of all ages
Read from July 12 to August 13, 2010

Original review at Layers of Thought.

A great book with incredible pictures. It is perfect for the Halloween and fall season.

Synopsis: A preteen and children’s book based upon a group of people whose aim is to educate children (and adults too) about our fellow planetary inhabitants - bats. It is written by scientists with a love of this special but ugly animal.

Bats are an umbrella species – if they are protected then it naturally extends to the protection of other species, helping them to thrive and survive. Sadly many species of bats in the US and around the world are in danger of extinction due to habitat loss, incorrect beliefs and myths, as well as a mysterious disease called white nose syndrome which is addressed in the book.

This book helps to teach by giving children and young adults science- based information about the importance of bats to local ecosystems. It also includes some disgusting and buggy scatological information which children love.

My Thoughts: I love love love bats. They are so cute – ugly cute. Most with faces only a mother could love. They are also an indicator species. Their health is an indication of our planet’s health, our warning – the figurative “canary in the coal mine”. You can’t help asking the question, if bats are dying, what’s next?

This book is simple and intriguing, with some incredible pictures, and a bunch of enlightening facts that everyone should know. Its a great fall read for the classroom and a trick or treat gift instead of candy or sweets. And besides, did I mention that I love bats - 4 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bat Scientists.

07/26/2010 page 80
100.0% "I loved this.. and adore bats... great book!"